Monday, March 17, 2008

dandelion days

Even now, we say the red brick house is our favorite. It's full of cozy memories, Sunday slide shows and family night in the front room with Grandma and Grandpa. We used to watch John and Amy steal rocks from "The Ladies," next door, a set of sisters who never married. They had an enchanting rose garden, full of rocks as good as chalk for writing on the sidewalk. In the summer on their back patio, they would let us crank their player piano. They sipped iced tea in their house coats and pushed their feet back and forth on the pavement, the gliding vinyl patio furniture swinging to the music.

We played night games until dusk and did fireworks the whole month of July. The park just up the street was perfect for playing "Three Billy Goats Gruff" and Dad made the best Troll. We liked to practice softball on the lawn. The flowering plum tree was home plate, the edge of the sandbox was first, the drinking fountain was second, and the bench was third. Amy and I usually got stuck in the outfield where we'd make clover flower crowns and talk about anything at all until it was our turn to bat.

Maybe it's because life was simpler, because my best friends lived next door, or because the farthest I could run before my Dad could catch me was up the street to the park, but every memory of that house is magical. Even with a Dorothy Hamill wedge haircut, life was perfect.

6 comments:

m.m. said...

davis park. love that place.

E. said...

I certainly wouldn't say no to a writing workshop---do you start these with specific prompts, or just . . . write? I want to compile them in a book. I would read it nightly to ensure sweet dreams.

Katie said...

What great memories. Told in true Martha style.

Bob, Emily, Ellie, and Kate said...

I love reading your blog. You write so well, obviously many others agree with me. So how do you know Amanda Quist? I grew up with her.

JanaB said...

Sheena Easton. . . you need to come on tour and bring your creative talents out East. . . that is what I have decided! I love your blog!!!!

Amander said...

I love your blog, dear Martha. You are an amazing writer. Hope to see you soon at your cute little house.

And you know Emily Anderson Becker? Small world.