Wednesday, March 24, 2010

the big pink couch

Sometimes I think it's strange that I help people change things for a living when I have such a hard time with it. Change, I mean. Out with the old and in with the new. Like when my parents got rid of this hideous pink couch in the basement. I felt like my childhood went away between its cushions. In my opinion even then, "pink" and "couch" should never go together. I remember being embarrassed at the sight of it. It arrived well broken in -- we got it from a family who had outgrown it, or maybe they realized that a couch the color of pepto bismol wasn't exactly high style. Its arms were flat from people sitting on them, and the center sagged. It became a bed for my sister when, after three months in the our new house, she decided she didn't want to share a room. My cousin fell asleep on it when he took breaks from his pre-med studies. My little brother and his toddler buddies would geronimo off the couch's flat arm platforms when no one was looking, or when Rachel was babysitting, because she saw no harm in letting three year-olds tumble into pink-covered foam. It just made for comfier cushions.

We were allowed to eat anything on it, because any spill disappeared. It smelled like popcorn from movie nights and syrup from french toast breakfasts after sleep overs. Pieces of construction paper wedged themselves underneath where we sat, remnants of birthday cards for grandparents or school election posters. In summer when we'd hear the ice cream truck, we'd dive head first into the couch's middle, with high hopes we'd come up with enough spare change for a frozen treat.

I can't remember exactly when we hauled it way, or how, or to where, just that we did and that I miss it. In conversations among life-long friends and cousins who crashed on it during their college days, it will go down as the world's most comfortable couch. Somehow the popcorn kernels, pizza stains and the smell of stinky socks didn't bother anyone. Perhaps there are worse combinations than the words "pink" and "couch." And perhaps before I utter "Out with the old and in with the new," I'll suggest a deep sea dive between the cushions on their couch. Who knows what memories are sandwiched between them.

1 comment:

olivia said...

i remember that couch from forever ago! i also remember taking off the cushions to try and find coins. Oh, the memories.