Sunday, February 13, 2011

one day

Yesterday I went to visit Grandma. Her house smelled like cinnamon. I found her in the front room in her slippers. She had blanket across her lap and her eyes were closed. She was listening to love songs from the 1940's. I touched her hand and she opened her eyes. It's Martha, I said. She told me how lovely I looked and that my visit was a special treat. She told me she'd been listening to love songs all morning and asked if I would join her. I pulled one of the velvet chairs with the scrolled arms up next to her chair. I turned the dial down so we could listen and talk at the same time. We talked about traveling and Grandpa and the beautiful things in her home from all over the world. About the tea cups she gave me from Germany. She told me I'm going to be famous one day, which made me laugh. I'm not sure for what, Grandma, I said, but thank you.

No comments: