Thursday, June 12, 2008

lessons learned

A few things I learned this week:
1. Life ain't no beach.
I wish I had a dollar for every time I almost started to unpack. Then I could pay someone to do it for me. I keep looking at my suitcase full of my swimsuit and my flip flops and shorts hoping to hold onto the fact that a week ago I was in 85 degree weather, the sea breeze blowing through my hair. Instead, I kicked the heater on this morning while I got ready.

2. The phrase "The last resort," doesn't mean twice a day.
This morning I woke up at 5 a.m. with chest pains. No, it wasn't a heart attack. And no, I am not dying. It's just heartburn. To the Nth degree. So, scratch the "just." I popped a Prilosec (Thank you Grandma H. and Costco) and went back to bed. I woke up with only the slightest bit of relief and poured myself a bowl of grape nuts. Two hours later, I burst into the back door, gripping the counters as my heels scuffed the tile floor. I made my way over to the cupboard door and swung it open. Ahh. Arm and Hammer. Dr. Steve (neighbor and wise physician) showed me a trick; a last resort trick. I combined 1 cup water with 1 tsp. baking soda and placed it in the microwave for 40 seconds. Happy Hour drink downed, I grabbed a plastic baggie out of the drawer and put a handful of Rice Works Salsa Fresca brown rice crisps in a bag for the road. WHAT ON EARTH WAS I THINKING?! Salsa Fresca?! Those chips were Murder with a capital "M" on my esophagus! Two hours after the Salsa Fresca chip episode, I repeated Dr. Steve's strategy. With a bag of Salsa Fresca chips on the top of the fridge for all to share, I'm now fettered to eat bran flakes (or something equally as bland) for the rest of the week.
I guess that's all.
3. I need to get out more.

No comments: