Monday, September 1, 2008

raining at sunset

Yesterday morning we woke late, made Robin's chocolate doughnut cookies (after a breakfast of yogurt and granola, so the cookies were totally legit) and headed off to church.

Post church, we enjoyed a leisurely walk up City Creek Canyon, just the three of us. Sunshine warmed our backs and leaves rustled in the trees above our heads. Cyclists and runners came whirling past, but we were content to let life go by one step at a time. Pointing out favorite houses along 2nd Avenue, we took the long way home.

At the sound of raindrops, K and I met in the hallway and dashed out onto the patio to watch the storm roll in. As I watched the gray sky drift by, Dickinson's poem came to mind: The Clouds their Backs together laid; The North begun to push. Mist settled its airy head down for the evening on the foothills as the big clouds rolled on by like dark waves. They had a mission all their own. My eyes glanced up past the H rock. The highest peaks on Grandma's Mountain had been dusted with snow like powdered sugar on morning waffles. K and I stood silent for awhile listening to the raindrops carry on a conversation, prattling back and forth to themselves as they pounded the pavement and the roof of the patio.

Before long there were puddles begging to be jumped in. I slid my feet into my galoshes one foot at a time, grabbed an umbrella and we headed out the front door. We stepped as light as mist; our moods the same as, we danced down the street towards the gutters. Our steps turned heavy and bounding when we reached the puddles. We leaped and bounced and splashed, water reaching the tops of our legs, like Gene Kelly in "Singing in the Rain." (I wished my Dad was there to splash with us. He does the best Gene Kelly, hands down, and there's an audience to testify).

We reached the C's house wet, but happy. M fed us steak, warm potatoes, fresh mozzarella with basil and tomatoes and chocolate cake for dessert. We came back to 2186 full, full, full. Fall is literally on our doorstep. I've got wet pants to prove it and I couldn't be happier. Bring it on.

1 comment:

Marcus Lane said...

love your blog martha!