Tuesday, May 12, 2009

heaping

Who decides what makes art art? I spent a whole semester in a lecture series titled, "What is Art?" looking at hundreds upon hundreds of slides while debating this very thing. My two professors chided back and forth the whole class period. (Those two couldn't have been more opposite.) They perfected the art of talking in circles while we took copious notes on a whole lot of nothing. If I'm remembering my nothings correctly, I think we decided everything qualifies: toilets on walls, people in plexiglass, piles of ordinary things like this.

If I term the carefully placed pile of worn-for-a-day clothes now taking over the top of what I think is a chest at the foot of my bed, it will make me feel a whole lot better about things. Slide show to follow.

No comments: