Tuesday, September 1, 2009

finger food

My dad makes words out of broken pretzels. He lines them up on the white counter top until someone walks along and appreciates them. Abstract and primitive-looking, it takes a few minutes to de-code his creation. I will slowly smile in his direction, giving him the creative credit he deserves, and go about my business. Like letters being erased from a chalkboard, the pieces disappear one by one as the night continues.

Recently, he's had a hankering for senbei rice crackers, something he learned to love while living in Japan. Mom obliges him and a box sits next to the cookie jar, his first stop after he walks in the door from work. A few weeks ago I came home late. The house was dark and dad was at the piano. Bifocals resting gently on his nose he was carefully studying his music. I walked towards the cookie jar and noticed his latest creation. Smiling, I got his attention. "Dad," I said, gesturing in the direction of this little rice man. He looked over his bi-focals, smiled back at me and turned to face his music. I think it's one of his best.

3 comments:

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

Your dad sounds way cool! Love this little guy!

emi. said...

ahh! i love this post!

Ellie said...

I love your dad!