Saturday, December 4, 2010

I'll Build a Man That's Made of Snow

This morning after a pancake breakfast and a surprise visit from Santa,* I'm helping little children make cotton balls into snowmen. We made a couple demos ahead of time so they have an idea of what they're working towards, but they're free to do whatever they want with various craft supplies on the table (felt, pipe cleaners, pompoms, markers.) I'm amazed at what they come up with: snowmen on skis, a French snowmen with a beret, snowmen on pink couches watching TV. (Seriously). One child takes a pipe cleaner and shoves it through the cotton ball, bending the ends upward. "That's great," I say. "Those are great arms." He looks up at me deviously. "They're not arms. They're horns. I'm making a devil." (I think the devil snowman and the red-eyed one holding an ak47 are friends.) Nothing says Christmas like satanic snowmen.

*Items on this year's wish list whispered by children to Santa: a roller coaster. A brachiosaraus. A cow. A filing cabinet.

No comments: