Tuesday, December 18, 2007

by the chimney with chairs

The most cherished gifts are the little ones. And who can resist a miniature? I know exactly who would adore these. And how adorable are they? Love. (I found these on a cup of joe. Here's the link).

In my attempt to become just like S & E, I've taken up collecting little chairs - S added one to my birthday package this year, rounding out E's unbelievably thoughtful gift. The chair is wonderfully geometric and shiny white. It now sits proudly in front of my chair bookends bought on my trip to Chicago in '99. Karli and I took The Windy City by storm. Well, it took us, actually. K, in her sandals and a hooded sweatshirt, (in January, no less) was begging for a blizzard. On our Michigan Avenue shopping spree, she spent her money on mittens and socks (and Frango mints at Marshall Fields, which I proudly partook of. It is, after all, tradition). I bought some adorable chair bookends at a store on Michigan Avenue, the inaugural chair set for my miniature chair collection. Then, to escape the absolute blizzard we found ourselves in, we rode the escalator up to the fifth floor of Borders, with stacks of books and magazines and watched the snow squall roll in off Lake Michigan. K and I make the best of travel companions. I can't wait until she comes home. Less than ten days. We'll sit by the fireplace, in the chairs here on Bryan - last night I stayed up too late making wreathes to attach to the back of each of them - and laugh into the night, digesting the Frango's that are bound to be at Grandma's by Christmas Eve. Can't wait, K. Bring your mittens. It's cold outside.

No comments: