Monday, December 3, 2007

The Yellow Brick House

I'm here on the floor in 2186, M to my right, sipping hot cocoa. We're nearly furniture-less, and loving it. The purchase of an IKEA futon was put to profit last night after W & R used their muscles to help us do all the hammering.

We love it here - this house with it's drafty windows, old heating vents and creaky hardwood floors. It's surprising how filling a place full of a few things (we all still have a little ways to go) makes four walls Home. Such a small word for a place with so much significance.

Our Little House has as much to offer us as we have to offer it: a great backyard, a long driveway (only notable after the snowstorm on Friday) a patio, a front porch; a bay window anticipating a table (we're hoping sooner rather than later) future dinner parties and late-night lingerers, a cellar (not quite sure what we're going to put in there, but Mern has a few ideas) and a great basement room for all things futons, games and spontaneous dance parties.
It's lights out here at 2186, at least for me.

Goodnight room.
Goodnight moon.
Goodnight air.
Goodnight noises everywhere.

3 comments:

m.m. said...

ohhh i'm glad you're in! can't wait to see it sometime!

E. said...

You're IN?! Oh, M! This is monumental! Magnificent! Epic and inspired! I didn't realise it was happening all so soon, and I have half a mind to forget tonight's class and head north. Ach, I can't wait to see it, to be there.

Congrats.

the House of Payne said...

Must be fun to have a real house. Must feel like being real people. I live in a shack, like the transient I am. Sometimes I wish I was real. I did do some painting though, which helped me feel less homeless.