Thursday, October 2, 2008

dear fall, come in

Phone calls, faxes and photos scanned, I took one look at the mountains, laced up my running shoes and headed for the foothills, knowing there was only so much light left in the day. As I drove towards the trail, the colors became closer, richer.

Fall trickled down the mountainside, all crimson, vivid gold, and rusted shades of orange. Colors combined then tapered off at the point where sunlight meets the shadow and the treetops in the valley; a bowl full of green leaves, yet to begin the process of shedding their summer skin.

I hit the trail, shoes beating the path, kicking up clouds behind me. I ran towards the colors, up towards the line of sun and shadow. I felt a part of it all - breathing mountain air, running past the tall flaxen grass and oak bushes whose acorns have taken their hats off to the season. I reached the bottom of the trail just as the city started to twinkle and drove home with the windows wide, the night breeze rushing in.

No comments: