Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad


This wise guy's one year older (wiser, too!) I'm a lucky girl to have such a Dad. One who tells the best bedtime stories about llamas and boys named Pedro. A Dad who sings with the MoTab, and whistles while he works. A Dad who'll go on long walks or galumphing through the pasture at the cabin. He likes good music and good literature. He'll let you have the last piece of chocolate cake. He leaves good luck notes before soccer games and draws silly pictures for me to find when I get home from dates. He's nick-named Bumlett and has a brother called Magoo. He speaks German and Japanese. He corrects English papers and writes crazy poems and has the most perfect handwriting. He's a Dad who stays up late to help with Algebra homework. He does "the lizard" and sings "Mrs. Goldfarb." He likes public transportation, college football, fresh fruit shakes, and the mountains. He knows everything about anything and is patient and kind. He taught me to ride a bike and drive a stick-shift. He's a Dad who has favorite trees in the city (I have favorite houses) and teaches me about nature and the nature of things. He gives good advice and the best underdogs and has literally given a stranger the coat off his back. I love his stories about Germany, the army days with Paul, and life on Cherry Lane. He was smart enough to snag my Mom. He never asks for much and makes everyone laugh. He's a Dad who likes bad puns and good ice cream. He carves excellent jack-o-lanterns. He wears bow ties, makes excellent crepes and the best homemade popcorn. He's trustworthy. Loyal. Honest and true. I'd take him anywhere. He makes me want to try harder at all sorts of things and life in general is much better with my Dad!

2 comments:

ike and em said...

I love your dad. What a sweet tribute.

Ellie said...

This is a perfect description of your dad. He's a pretty great uncle, too!