Thursday, June 25, 2009

fifty nifty

After a lovely evening at the Grandma house, where we ate fresh fruit and Nettie's peanut butter bars (the new definition of divinity as far as I'm concerned), I'm up late in the big bed on the second floor, a summer breeze blowing through open windows. The architect who designed my parent's house was brilliant in many respects. With regard to the Utah summers, he was particularly inspired: there are two double-hung windows directly across from each other allowing for perfect cross-ventilation. The cool summer breeze crosses back and forth back and forth, like two old friends having a late night conversation.

R and I have stayed up much much too late this week, but after a summer garden party last night complete with paper lanterns, a balloon arch (compliments of Raani and Whitney) and more chocolate cake than twenty-something high schoolers can eat, we're a bit wound up.

Turned to a high-numbered cable channel, the TV drones on and on in the background. I was going about my going to bed business and trying to motivate myself to do Pilates when I heard the words, "The States of America Coin Bear Collection." I looked up and was completely...completely...captivated isn't quite the right word. Do people really order these things?! Yes, 50 bears, one for each state, all unique in color, each with a state decal across the chest. I think New Hampshire is my favorite. Darla (the infomercial babe who has decided this is the way she's going to get her big break) informs curious (or, in my case, dumbfounded) on-lookers of their intrinsic value. Perhaps the best and most touching part (and an important educational tool, which won't go unnoticed thanks to dear Darla): Permanently sealed in the foot of each bear, for time and all eternity, is an uncirculated state coin.

Also, in case there is another lunatic who was up too late one night thinking of such harebrained ways for Americans to show their patriotism in this economic decline, there is a hologram on the back of each bear to insure counterfeiting isn't a possibility. "The best thing about this collection," Darla says, her pink-nailed hands gesturing a la Barker's Beauties, left and right, "is the way they look when they're all lined up together, state to state." (She should have added, "From sea to shining sea.") Act fast, folks. Call the operator and you'll receive the first states in the union for only $19.95. Another fun fact: I just learned seconds ago, "The quarters themselves are worth much more than $19.95." What a bargain.

I've been shopping for a beach cruiser this week. I've wanted one for a long time; for rides to the park with Mern, and Satruday Farmer's Market runs with Steph. I'm pretty sure this trumps my desire for a beach cruiser. Scratch the pretty. I am sure, dang it! Gotta go. If I call now Darla will throw in the limited edition George Washington Commemorative Bear for free. Oh, how beary exciting. God bless America!

3 comments:

Leigh said...

I think I might have to stay up late tonight to experience this for myself. What channel were you on? Maybe I'll set the DVR.

Sum said...

I love this post! :)

emi. said...

God Bless America!