Monday, March 21, 2011

God Likes Broken Things

At church someone said, God likes broken things, And, Have we ever thought about that?

Heavy clouds gather in a dark sky after days of drought. They break over the dusty soil and drop rain. Broken grain makes wheat to feed hungry bellies. A mother's water breaks so a child can enter the world.

I spent the afternoon thinking of broken hearts and contrite spirits. How we're most teachable when we're broken. How God wants to carry our heavy-laden heart. How we have to offer it up to him (no matter how heavy or broken) fleshy and raw in order for him to put it back together.

I thought about Japan and how the earth shook and then broke. How the water rose high and fell down into the cracks. I thought about floods and famine. About children without parents. Parents without children. I thought that at the exact moment there was a huge flood on earth, there was also a huge flood in heaven. About how life continues on after this if we believe with all our broken hearts.

4 comments:

Marcus Lane said...

deep stuff here. i like it!

E. said...

Have you heard the EFY song? Exhibit A of how such a beautiful thought can be utterly destroyed by some wannabe Nickelback and a few climactic strings.

Thank you for redeeming said thought and saying it better than ever.

M said...

E, I can only imagine. Thanks for your comment.

Sum said...

I've never thought of this myself, but all of this makes sense. Thanks for this post and opening me up to thinking of broken things.