Monday, February 23, 2009

in an effort to save the unsavable

For Christmas my brother asked for a new cell phone. Since he'd been a good not-so-little-anymore boy, he got one. One of this techno-dude's requirements: space for more than 30 text messages. I felt his pain and when I was playing Santa's little helper, I made sure he got his wish. He now has a phone that holds up to 100 text messages in his in box. Mine, however, still holds a measly 30. Being the sentimental type, I have a hard time parting with some of the techy messages that come my way, like the lyrics to "Last Christmas I Gave You My Heart" which Mern sent several times this past Christmas season (the result of which was the incessant playing of those annoying lyrics in my head), or when K sends me messages about what Grace has said. I've taken to writing some of them down. Oh, and sometimes I text myself when I'm out and about and don't have a pen -- an address, a phone number, titles of books I want to read, etc. While this is well and good and resourceful, the direness of it all boots another saved fave out into cyber space. Alas, it must be so. Here are some favorites as of late.

To any of you who don't find your sentimental, sweet or silly message here, believe me, if it brought a smile to my face, odds are, it's been recorded, in pen, in my journal. Never fear. I heart you.

"I spy with my little eye man in kilt and chacos. Scary." (Steph)

"I'd rather live in his world than without him in mine." (Bibbers. Sometimes we send lyrics back and forth to each other. It's a fun game. This, if you don't already know, is from Midnight Train to Georgia.)

"I love Ben. Whenever he comes on the screen it's like...my future." (Liv)

"T dash dash dash Mulcahy." (Me, to send later to E, which I haven't. So E, that's for you. Love me.)
"Happy Love Day! I love you! xoxo." (Anonymous, to you. Not me. Ha!)

"Did he say it's supposed to feel like a bag of worms?" (Mern)

"And to you peace, goodwill and men. Sweet dreams." (O and E)

"Why must you do all the fun things while I'm gone? Grr face! What did u talk about? How old are they? Were their gfs there? Huh huh huh?" (Mern)

"You are my hero! Or 409 is. Die mother bleepers die!" (The Mernenator. This was in response to my "VICTORY!" text about another spidee who had begun the ascent up our stairs. At our house we kill spiders with 409. It's mean. But spiders are meaner. The meanest, actually. And, it makes the house smell clean, which can sometimes be a pleasant false sense of accomplishment.)

"Your just so dumb your just so dumb your just so dumb dumb dumb." (The Chard. I deserved it and he deserved the grammar lesson I sent back, via text.)

"Well, stick it back to the man. West side! Weirdo." (The Sistah)

3 comments:

Katie said...

Love it Marth. What a great idea to write down your favorite texts. You are so good about recording and keeping a fun "personal history." This post is a classic!

olivia said...

My favorite is richards "you're so dumb" rampage. hilarious!

olivia said...

p.s.- my phone also only holds thirty. I hate it!