Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Astronauts Anonymous

In elementary school I had a crush on a boy who went to space camp. It wasn't his affinity for astrology that made me fond of him. I remember being terribly embarrassed about his absence from school for a week in Florida to pretend to defy gravity and squint through telescopes. The only positive thing I could think of was the possibility of eating space ice cream, which to me, is delicious, especially the Neapolitan. Other than that, the thought of him following in the footsteps of Neil Armstrong was a bit...out there.

However, as the years have rolled on, I've found myself wanting to recant my space camp chides. There have been many a sweet night's sleep on the deck at the cabin, the prelude to which have been Dad pointing out constellations as we stare at the Milky Way, visible from the spot Grandpa plotted so many years ago. I spent a memorable summer night with a few girl cousins outside the teen bunkhouse on a ranch in Antimony, UT and witnessed what was the most spectacular star show I've seen to date. Year in and year out there have been August nights with E and O, comforters spread across us on the front lawn when we've looked up at the endless heavens, stared off into the darkness and planned our futures (none of which included space camp, but perhaps they should have?)

The truth is, as much as I didn't want to be into space, I am. So, the other night when I had the chance to look through D Man's new telescope, I bundled up and bounded out. I took one giant leap for woman kind and was out on the driveway squinting into a telescope and studying the moon. Dad not wanting to give up the opportunity either, was right behind me. His reaction was probably the most priceless: "Oh my stars!" he gasped, eyes as wide as flying saucers. (Even with his naturally punny tendencies, he didn't realize he'd said it.) We all took turns, all in disbelief at what we could see. The moon seemed touchable, all craters and textures. Mountains and valleys. I resisted the urge to usher all on-lookers inside to watch October Sky, although it might have to be our next neighborhood cinema screening sometime soon. Perhaps in my free time this summer I'll look into Space Camp. Apparently all the cool kids are going. (N and O, I'll make sure there's a spot for three.)

No comments: