Tuesday, April 8, 2008

remains of the neigh

Churchill said, "Never, never, never give up." That's a lot of "never's." In contrast (and in much less of an historical context) there's the adage, "(Stop) kicking a dead horse." Both idioms have merit. (Don't think me an idiot for labeling Churchill's statement an idiom). Then there's the whole "find your inner chi." Seek for balance.

But what if in your never never giving up you can't seem to get rid of the horse? What if, in all your kicking, you've come to enjoy the kicking? To count on the kicking? That dead horse has become an almanac of sorts and every six months or so, you walk up and let him have it. And, just as you expected, he takes it. Like a champ. And you're good to go for another few months. Never give up. Stop kicking. Find balance.

In reality, I know I should cease the kick-fest. Maybe the happy medium would be to mount the horse head on the wall. It would be very equestrian of me. Very Ralph. Very British. Perhaps Mr. Churchill himself would approve.

3 comments:

m.m. said...

i know one person/animal who would not approve of a mounted horse head on a wall: cochise.

E. said...

I know this shouldn't be so incredibly funny, but I can't stop laughing.

Liking the analogy. Very, very much.

M said...

Meeks: Cochise as in Harry and? If so, I would NEVER.

Em: Glad you found this funny. I started laughing when I read that you were laughing! Then I conjured up the most ridiculous image in my head. Thank you for that!