Saturday, May 3, 2008

i was here.

Around this time two weeks ago tonight, I sat in California, my hair pulled up in a loose French twist, soaking in a hot tub. I drank root beer straight from the cooler, and hollered at Mason to bring "more chocolate donut cookies, please!" Just as my mouth spread wide to make the -ease! of please, a plate of chocolate donut cookies appeared out of nowhere, napkins included, as not to cloud the hot tub with powder sugar fingers. No, Mason is not my butler, and no, he is not for hire. He's just a sweet kid who was ordered around all weekend. He loved it. Who wouldn't love to wait on three hot babes, hand and foot? We should have paid him!

The moon was full, the water 98 degrees, and the air smelled of orange juice. Blossoming vines ventured off, creating symmetry in espallier. A fire crackled and whooshed in the outdoor fireplace, drying wet hands and hair as we lounged on the patio after night swimming. As M and I fell asleep in the guest bedroom, hair still damp and legs pleasurably sore from a morning jaunt in the mist of the California hills, I couldn't help but think, To heck with it all! I'm moving next week.

This week popcorn popped on apricot trees as heavy flakes of snow blanketed spring grass. I arrived home that night to find a note scribbled across the chalkboard. California: May 16-18. Mason, fetch me my slippers.

1 comment:

Kasi French said...

I vote we leave RIGHT NOW! We can fill the empty beds in Robs house, tan by day, blog by night. Before too long we'll be getting calls from companies asking us for ad space on our blogs and we'll make enough to NEVER work again and PAY Mason! Lets get out of Dodge for good!