Tuesday, May 6, 2008

sometimes II

Sometimes I think being my own boss wasn't the greatest idea. Like when the dining room is being painted the third shade of green and I'm the one who has to break it to the painter that it's still not quite right. Or when they discontinue every usable color in a certain fabric and I'm left with watermelon or lime to use in a neutral living room. Or when I feel like I have a great idea, but there isn't a sounding board, unless the foam core in my office counts.

Then I have days like yesterday. I stopped to pop something in Nat's mailbox on the way to a furniture showroom, and out popped Nat herself. We spent 25 minutes, pants rolled up, arms out, enjoying the sun and chatting in her backyard. Today I dropped off lunch for Anna at Red Butte Gardens. We strolled right past the front desk with our take-out where numerous parent-volunteers were counting curious little toddler heads while they made faces at each other. After exploring arching arbors of wisteria, Anna introduced me to the perfect spot for lunching, a hidden table off the beaten path. Rice and vegetables never tasted so good. Mid-rice bowl, I got a call from Kas who said she was leaving work because it was sunny. Minutes later, we both arrived home from work, the afternoon and early evening ours for the enjoying.

The next time I'm stuck way out by the airport trying to find the perfect slab of granite, or when my fax spits out the fifth no response warning and the Geek Squad is no where to be found, or when I'm on the phone with Scalamandre, forced to decide between lime and watermelon, maybe I'll just take a long lunch and sit in the sun. I don't think my boss will mind.

1 comment:

Kasi French said...

Let me know when your boss gives the go ahead for a personal assistant - I have a feeling I know someone perfect for that job!