Thursday, January 7, 2010

please proceed

The other day when I was supposed to be thinking about what belongs in a home's interior, all I could think about was what belongs on its exterior. All color combinations, entry ways and specifically, doors. I've always had this fascination with them. Their color. Their shape. Their size. How the style of a door relates to the architecture of the rest of the house. These portals serve as a preview to the home's soul, to its intimate insides.

Not all my thinking has been literal. I've been conjuring up thoughts about doors as they relate to certain opportunities in life. Taken. Untaken. Open. Shut. Locked. Why some doors stay open for a long time, giving us a grand view of what's going on inside, but we fail to cross the threshold. Why, when the door is wide open and the path is before us, do we wait for someone to usher us through? The future in view, all vistas and open valleys, we stand and we vacillate. Opportunity is knocking, rapping, rather, and we don't answer.

There's much more to explore here, speaking of figurative vistas. These very vistas and valleys have been keeping me up at night. I've scribbled thoughts down on scratch paper (graph paper the other day when I was supposed to be working on a floor plan) all week. So many thoughts that I think I might do a series of posts. Not that anyone wants to read what I have to say about doors, but I'm going to attempt to write some of it down over the next while. I'm not promising vistas or valleys or anything like a bright future, but perhaps you'll sit awhile and mull over my musings. * Come on in if you wish. The door is wide open.

photo by moi, The West Village, Manhattan


*Sometimes I worry about my extreme use of alliteration. I bet it gets annoying to read. In all honesty, it's how my brain works, and more often than not I'll think of alliterative words during normal conversation, but refrain from speaking them. So while you might have to read them, be grateful you don't get the double dose (see?!) via conversation, too.

1 comment:

Leigh said...

I love alliteration. It brings such color to conversation.