Tuesday, January 19, 2010

When I was Rome-ing

I stopped in at King's English today to pick up our latest book club read. It's full of cozy corners, wood floors worn down with the scuffing feet of eager readers, and chairs awaiting those very readers to plop down with a book and page-turn to their heart's content. No matter how many times I've been there, nor how many "watch your step" signs combined with red tape running across the threshold leading into the fiction section, I always seem to stumble. The sales reps at the front desk get quite the show. Today was no different.

I left with a book I read a short review about here. I haven't been able to put down. After learning our book club selection wasn't in stock, I quickly found one to take its place then asked the clerk what business I had picking up two new books, especially since book club is this week and I haven't even seen the book we're to be reading. Speaking of the one I haven't been able to put down, "But look at the darling cover! I'm such a judge-a-book-by-the-cover girl. And...it's British. All the better." We were instant friends. "I don't know how you work here," I said, approaching the counter. "Me either. Someday I'll have to eat my books for survival. Lots of fiber, though," she said, taking her place behind the register. As I handed over my cash I said, "And you'll be recycling. A noble gesture, indeed."

"When We Were Romans," by Matthew Kneale. Add it to your to-buy/to-read list. It's adorable, even on the inside. Read JoAnna's review below:

The tale is narrated by a nine-year-old boy, whose mother abruptly moves him and his sister from England to Rome when she becomes convinced that his estranged father is spying on them, turning the neighbors against them and trying to hurt them. As their adventure turns more madcap, you start realizing that things may not be quite what they seem. The little boy has such a sweet, authentic voice and your heart swells for him; the whole story is told with misspellings and run-on sentences. (He also loves talking about the universe and crazy Roman emperors.) It's one of those books you can't put down; at bedtime, I'm always fighting to keep my eyes open...

No comments: