Wednesday, January 13, 2010

on organization

When I was sixteen, I began working for a local interior designer. I was endlessly fascinated by his studio space. My duties were limited to organizing the sample room and going through blueprints, but I was in heaven. In the design files of my mind I created quite the interior design studio for myself. It was well-organized and full of original art. There was a sample room to die for and the showroom was full of silk brocade, slip-covered linen chairs, and monogrammed pillows. More than ten years later, I'm far from such a studio space. I drive passed the building where I spent time sorting fabrics, blueprints and furniture catalogs. Since I spent afternoons in that building there have been two large renovations. The studio is now two and half times the size it used to be and the parking lot is nearly full everyday with both employees and clients. I don't have a parking lot or a sample room. I have a desk and a sample drawer and a corner office in a room that serves another purpose. But it's a space of my own where I can create.

I've always liked this little spot of the blogosphere. I find it fascinating how others organize their creative space. In this month's issue of House and Garden, there is an article about designer Suzy Hoodless. In the article, the author talks about Hoodless the anomaly. The "extremely well-organized creative person." Is this possible? I'm not quite sure. But for the new year, I cleaned off my desk. And took a picture because I'm not sure how long this will last. It's definitely not worthy of appearing on On My Desk, but I'll post it on my blog for my own inspiration. Perhaps posting these photos alongside the words about Hoddless' well-organized creativity will be a catalyst for my own organization.

No comments: