Monday, January 7, 2008

The State of the State

It was M's idea. In fact, I had no idea where he was headed as we turned out of the parking lot, but a downtown detour is always acceptable. As we approached the top of the hill, the classical architecture and symmetrical fenestration seemed all too picturesque to pass up in the moonlight, even if we were cutting it close in terms of regular business hours. Turns out, M is more of a kindred spirit than I thought, our eyes locking with excitement as we parked in the empty lot out side of the newly-renovated Capitol building, just hours after the rededication. We were already in formal attire, so why not give it a go? The two of us had a skip in our step as we scaled the steps looking for a still-open door.

A burgundy-shirted, Pizza-box-carrying security guard caught onto our game and happily played the on-the-spot doorman. He used his dolly to prop the door open, balancing pizza boxes in one hand, giving us an "okay-but-make-it-quick, you-two" gesture with the other. (Very "Sleepless In Seattle" - The Empire State Building Scene, as EM pointed out the following day when I told her the story). M motioned for me to go ahead, charming the security guard by lightening his Post-rededication Pizza Party box load, allowing me the first look inside the Renovated Lady, in all her Glory. The marble was pristine. The granite glistened and my boots made the perfect echo as we approached security guard numero dose. M, still aiming to enchant, handed the guard his bag of bread sticks and asked, "You mind if we take a look?" The reply from the "security guard" (obviously our junior) "You got ID?" M reached for his wallet. "Yeah, but probably not the kind you're looking for." Feeling bold, I let my boots click-clack their way a few steps past the red tape, looking up into the moon-lit rotunda. My mind wandered - past, present and future, thinking of elegant evenings and important occasions held within those stately walls. I looked back just as M was putting his wallet back into his suit-coat pocket. That was my cue.

Out we went as other burgundy-clad pepperoni-eyed guards brushed past us. I have to hand it to M for thinking of such a worth-while diversion between company party and Twizzler-Treat Puzzle-Fest at Mr. and Mrs. B's before calling it a night. Little America was a delight and the Super Bowl Puzzle highly entertaining, but our impromptu trip to Capitol Hill was the highlight of the evening. Next time we'll be sure to wear burgundy. Thanks for a fun night, M. And, I agree with your mother: No more puzzles. Even if she can spot all the corner pieces.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds like fun. I love reading your description of it. Love you!

Theo Fam said...

Loved the story!

Anonymous said...

What a stud! Who is this mysterious M?

M said...

"Stud," huh? Well, if that's what you want to go by, you better be a little more stealth, Mr. anonymous. Nice try though, Ivory.

Anonymous said...

He he! I thought about covering my tracks, then figured I didn't care. Anon bc I don't have any sort of account that would allow me to post otherwise.