Tuesday, January 1, 2008

no more sevens

There is something about an odd number I'm not too keen on. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I'm not good at math and, with odd numbers, there are remainders and decimal points and nothing comes out without something left over. I like things whole. Round. Complete. And, I hate leftovers.

Sitting at our table yesterday with some friends, I excitedly pointed out that its square shape could be made round by lifting the leafs. I grabbed for the runners and did an on-the-spot demonstration. "Look! Our table folds out the be a circle! I love circles!" I sat contently back in my square-back chair, rubbing my hands in a circular motion over the grain of our now-round table. Not a moment later, M piped in (in all seriousness), "Oh! If you love circles, are you so excited for two thousand eight?!" I gave a noiseless "huh?" as did the other by-sitters, our faces all bearing the same expression. M picked up on our inquisitiveness, raised both hands in a "what-gives?!" manner and said, "All the circles! No more sevens! I'm so done with sevens." I went into the kitchen to grab a felt-tip pen and paper and scribbled out over two-dozen 2008's. Such a sight; all those circles! So round. So complete.

As the clock chimed 11:50 last night, the crowd got excited, pulling out cameras, donning "Happy New Year" crowns as Mandy and I mixed Shirley Temples. Ten minutes left to celebrate the year gone by. We couldn't really change the year gone by; the memories; the moments we had or didn't have and made or didn't make the best of. We could only celebrate it.

Now we usher in this perfect New Year. No remainders from 'o7. (I'm so done with sevens). Start the way you wish to continue. Be the way you wish you were. Round. Whole. Complete.

No comments: