Monday, September 27, 2010

Starry Night Over the Seine

Last week I took a client to pick up a few oil paintings. While we waited for her artwork (wrapped in brown paper) she told me about the first time she saw Gustav Klimt's Der Kuss in Austria. It was at the top of a long winding staircase, all symbols and shades of bronze and she was completely overcome. It made me think of Paris and the Musée D'Orsay and how I went back three times. After the last time, we walked along the Seine, lined with bateaux mouches twinkling like stars in a river of dark blue. It reminded me of Van Gogh's Starry Night Over the Rhone. I knew then that I'd never see the sky the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea, great art is it's own different type of experience. I saw a large backdrop that Picasso had painted for a theater piece once and I have never forgotten the sheer awesomeness I felt in front of it.