Wednesday, November 11, 2009

earth is crammed with heaven

Do you suppose in heaven we'll have all of our favorite things in abundance? Not just the physical things like bottomless bushels of ripe peaches or history-making football moments on repeat. But things like laughter and favorite friends and beautiful music; or sunsets that last for days and green vistas that go on for miles? E thinks we'll all be wearing beautiful white flowing dresses. Grandpa always said there's Snegrove's ice cream in heaven. If that's true, I plan to spend a lot of time in his heaven. I'm not quite sure what heaven looks like, or what it feels like, except that I know that it is all around us, that heaven is in the everyday. Today I saw it in the faces of the little ones who sang, "I'll Walk With You," with extra gusto for their grandmother. Perhaps they'll miss her more than she'll miss them, because I know part of her heaven will be her grandchildren. She'll surround them with her spirit often. I like to think that as soon as Aunt K arrived in heaven she and Grandpa had a joyous reunion over ice cream. Then they hiked the highest tree-covered mountains, singing songs all the way.

(A few of the things read today at the service for Aunt K.
The last is a favorite scripture, one that always brings comfort.)


“Earth is crammed with heaven, And every common bush afire with God; But only he who sees, takes off his shoes." {Elizabeth Barrett Browning}



Psalm 100

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness come before his presence with singing.
Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

"And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen." Enos 1:27

2 comments:

RayRay said...

oh thank you martha... this was beautiful

emi. said...

double thank you.