Sunday, November 22, 2009

wishing for winter

Beth, Kate and I took the shortcut to the library today, choosing to step out into the cold instead of walking down the long hallway with the portraits of the prophets. We bustled along, Mount Olympus to our coatless backs. "I want it to snow for my birthday. That's all I want*," I said as we slipped in the side door. Beth wanted snow for my birthday, too. As long as it's gone by Wednesday so she can fly home, she said pile it on. (Actually, she didn't say pile it on, but it's my birthday and my wish, and I say pile it on.)

Three hours later, as I helped set the table for Sunday dinner, the snow began to fall in big fluffy flakes, like bits of clouds floating down to coat the ground in a soft white blanket.

Snow came a day early, but waking up to a Winter Wonderland this morning was pretty fantastic.

* Fine. That's not all I wanted. I a
lso wanted my brother Rich to do his funny voices. He's home from college for a week and I have missed his many silly voices - especially the voice when he takes it upon himself to talk for our dog. I knew he'd be shy about it since we have company, but, as we sorted spoons before dinner, I begged and out came a granule of gruff just for me. Thanks, Chard. Double wish. Check. Check.

No comments: