Sunday, November 2, 2008

Confession

It's easy to disappear into the interiors of the worlds I create for others. To insert myself between the ticking stripes; stuff myself into the drawers of mahogany buffets or hide in cupboards under the stairs. Following my first instinct comes instantly when I'm making decisions that aren't my own. I trust my gut. Speak my mind. Tell them to go with the red paint or to put the contemporary fabric on the couch that may seem like a juxtaposition. It will make a statement. When it comes to making decisions that will affect me, it's not so easy. The lines in the patterns blur. The floor plan isn't as clear; the footprint indecipherable. I can't hop from one room to the next with such designer's ease, encapsulating creativity at every corner.

We talk about it all the time - how we want to be that girl. The one with her Life put together. The classy, elegant, timeless girl with shoes for every occasion. The one with a social calendar full of black-eyeliner-worthy nights out and enough close friends for cozy, meaningful nights in. The girl who can pull off pearls and a Free Tibet t-shirt all in the same outfit. Sometimes, (a lot of today) I wish I was that girl.

No comments: