Monday, November 10, 2008

Searching

Tonight L and I joined the rest of the 33rd crowd to do some indexing at the stake center. The two of us pulled up a batch of names from a California census; names from Italy. Switzerland. Portugal. We filled in father, mother, daughter, son, widow, widower. Birth and immigration dates. We deciphered "D's." Freed tangled "T's." Unraveled "R's." Dotted neglected "I's" and rounded out the empty "O's," all in attempt to decode names of people and places. How removed I felt looking at such old documents with actual handwriting scrawled across one line to the next. Yet, I felt such a kinship with those strangers; those I won't have the opportunity to greet until I've passed on. But I believe they will be waiting with open arms. Makes heaven seem all the more heavenly. In the meantime, there is so much work to be done!

1 comment:

Leigh said...

k so when are we doing this again? I'm so coming over with the computer! Let's get to work.