Thursday, November 20, 2008

Mr. Ed's color theory class

Amidst the saw dusty mess of an old wood floor (soon-to-be gorgeous), I tried to describe the stain I wish to be the end result. I fanned out the options and showed the floor-finisher-stainer dude (that's his real title). Truth be told, I wasn't thrilled with any of the choices. "It's between this and this," I said, pointing to two samples. He didn't follow. Picking several others, I said, "Like if you took this, and mixed it with this, you'd get something right about here." A blank stare. Hmm. I was at a loss and he was just plain lost. We dialed N in CA. We went back and forth saying, "It's like this. It's like that. It's like this and that." We were getting nowhere and I had just gotten a sliver from fanning out all the different options. After a brief period of well-now-what's? and why-did-the-airport-steal-my-Leatherman-with-the-tweezers-in-it? moments, N said, "OK, so I'm looking at a horse right now that is just the most perfect color." I wish we could have borrowed him and had the dude/guy take him to the paint store to do a color match. Alas, we're back to combining several different shades to hopefully get something "right about (t)here." I'll be interested to see what he comes up with. If all else fails, we'll buy a trailer and start pony rides in the neighborhood to cover our costs. All in favor say ,"I." Any opposed, say "Neigh."

3 comments:

w and w said...

I!!!! I'd love a pony ride!

Natalie Petersen said...

Seriously, I love you more than you will ever know. The color of the horse...it really was the perfect color. Thank you, thank you, thank you for being my eyes through this whole project. You know I couldn't do it with out you! and that is an understatement! I just wish there were someway I could repay you. I will think of something!

Natalie Petersen said...

PS-your funny! Neigh? That's awesom!