Friday, November 23, 2007

Markings

Yesterday was full of family and feasting; recollections, recitations, Owen and Miles' violin renditions; gaming and much laughter. I can't help but think (know) that I come from the best family around. And, I've got 100 people to back me up on that!
Between turkey and pie, Grandma slid a hand-addressed envelope across the table in each of our various directions. Inside was a copy of a journal entry of Grandpa's, dated March 24, 1989. Matt was voice as he read Grandpa's account of "What of (himself) he owe(s) to others." Thought-provoking, patriotic, and tender were his responses. Few of us were dry-eyed by the time Matt reached the bottom of the page. We, too, felt "a sense of joy in togetherness." Such joy is an emotion fostered by Grandma and Grandpa. I've gone on to make my own list of "what of myself I owe to others" - it's full of things I owe to my sweet Grandparents, two I am forever grateful for.

3 comments:

m.m. said...

i would have loved to be there!

Jeff & Ellie said...

I need that picture of Grandpa. It's from Emily's blessing (I'm pretty sure) and he's the only one of our grandparents that we didn't get a good picture of that night. Can you e-mail it to me? Please and thanks. you.

Anonymous said...

so where's your list?