Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Tornado Tag

(NaBloPoMo 7)
There are some things in life you just can't avoid. In my case, it's being "tagged." I've been tagged twice now, so I guess I'd better execute. Thanks, K. Thanks, A. You two are the best...and I mean best! Luv ya tunz.
The rules are as follows:
Rule 1: The player lists 6 facts/habits about themselves - try to find 6 you haven’t already posted about!
Rule 2: At the end of the post, the player tags 6 people and posts their names, and then goes to their blog and leaves them a comment, letting them know they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog for the rules.

WAY more than you wanted to know about me...

Fact 1: One night at a Haglund Family Reunion, M and K and A and I were sitting in our condo playing "Brainquest." During a lull in the game, (M and I were cleaning house in the Hum-dinger department and went on to win the FRANGO award for our ability to "Recall Rock-n-Roll Through the Ages.") M took a peanut and stuck it up my nose. Far. I immediately started laughing and therefore inhaled, making the peanut go further and further up my snauze. It took about 20 minutes to get it out. I've never blown my nose so hard in my life! Bruce, M's Dad, did the same thing with a bean, but he was like 2. M was 17. I guess that made us even, though. In Colter Bay, a few years earlier, I slammed her hand in our minivan door.

Fact 2: When I was young, my Mom would make us (when I say make, I mean force) take two sessions of swimming lessons each summer. We went to a swim club in Salt Lake that had a long, black asphalt walkway, with overflowing flower pots, which led from the parking lot to the pool. Mothers would drop their eager little children off and they'd run along the asphalt and hustle their way up to the pool, usually because the Utah sun had made the ground so hot their bare feet would get burned unless they scurried. I ran, too, but not because it was hot. Nope. I ran from flower pot to flower pot, barfing into each, out of mortal fear. I hated swimming lessons. Sometimes, I would even trow up in the pool. Especially if we had to swim in the deep end. But, as my swim teacher used to say, "That's what chlorine is for, Martha. Swim across!" Oh, did I mention that my swim teacher was my Uncle? Yeah. And, if you were thrown off the high dive at age four by some cruel man named "Roger," (your mother looking on in utter terror) a man who appears sporadically in your nightmares to this day, my uncle was your swim teacher, too! Don't worry. He's much nicer on dry land. And, as he's reminded me many times over the years, you haven't drown yet, now have you? Exactly.

Fact 3: I'm horribly scared of escalators. As in, I think I might die each time I use one. It's something about depth perception, the ground literally splitting beneath me, and the fear that my pant leg or shoelace might get caught between the teeth. I don't like to talk about it. Let's move on.

Fact 4: When I was little, I liked neat handwriting so much I decided that when I grew up, I wanted to be the girl who painted signs for grocery stores - the kind that say, "Lean Ground Beef $1.49 lb." Now, that I'm older and wiser, it's not so much the grocery store butcher paper sign artist job that intrigues me as it is the chalk artist who writes "Sandwiches" or "Cheeses" on blackboards at great delicatessens. Keep your eyes peeled for a job opening...

Fact 5: I memorize license plates. Just letters, not numbers. I like to make words or sayings out of them. I also memorize car makes and models. I can tell the difference between a 1999 Honda Accord and a 2000 Honda Accord. The only difference: a white strip was added to the tail lights on the 2000 models. BMWs: same deal. They didn't streamline the tail lights into the trunk line one year. HUGE design flaw. I feel bad for people who bought BMW's that year. UG-LY. As soon as they learned the small tweak lost them the signature BMW look, they fixed it an the Beamer beaconed again! Jetta and Passat lights are like that, too. It's not just lights I pay attention to, though. I can spot Audi A6s and A8s from blocks away, and...Wow. This is completely. useless. information. It's a design thing. Since I'm never going to own great wheels myself, I might as well really enjoy looking at everyone else's.

Fact 6: Mandy Moore is my idol. Mandy Moore the singer, NOT the actress. (As if that makes any of us feel better). Although, I'd be lying completely if I said I hated "Chasing Liberty." But wait! Mandy Moore was in a movie with John Krazinski. Okay. She's totally my idol and if she's not yours...something is wrong with you! John Krazinski = Total BABE!

Last but not least: as for the rest of you...E, Jen the Hen, Becca, Meka (this makes 2) Les, and Linds...Tag! Ladies, you're it! And let's throw Jen and Ty in there for fun, too. Kates, if you feel so inclined...but I know you posted "111 Things About Me" recently, which was darling.

3 comments:

E. said...

M! I had no idea we shared irrational fears---I tremble and tear-up when getting on a down-escalator to this day.

And, as ever, I am so in awe of your car knowledge. Really impressive.

Jen and Ty said...

Am I "Jen the Hen" or amd I "Jen the Hen"? I love your stories...very insightful into the life of my dear Fetz. I miss you!

M said...

Sorry, Hen. Since I tagged you twice, try and get Ty to do it! Ha ;) That would be the day, huh?