Friday, November 9, 2007

Total BUMMER.

(NaBloPoMo 9)
After an appointment for work today, I decided to drive past the Walter Ware House. It had been a while and I was just a few blocks away. A few blocks from my beloved Walter E. Ware House is another Avenues Gem, which marshals fond memories.

In high school, my friend Ashly drove a BUMMER. It was a Beast, with tires nearly as big as any of it's passengers and twice as big as Janey. We could fit the whole soccer team in it, and did, on a few occasions. This gas-guzzler was the perfect Girl-Mobile on the weekends. We'd sit hip-to-hip, five-across the front, Ash at the helm. Richard, Ashly's dad and the brains behind the Bummer, had fashioned the most amazing heating system for that Bad Boy. The vents on the dashboard were removable and transportable! Attached to a long hose, each vent resembled an elephant trunk, once fully extended. The heaters could reach all the way into the back, and up Elle's shirt, on most occasions. It was ingenious. (On Richard's part. Not Elle's. Well, I guess whatever you have to do to keep warm. I guess...)

We could be heard from miles away. And not just because we were eight girls laughing, screaming and belting Deana Carter at the top of our lungs. That thing drove and sounded like a tractor. There was nothing discreet about it. Why we used it to do "drive-bys" weekend after weekend, is beyond me, but at the time, it didn't phase us.

The weekend brought the routine route, past boy's houses. Post Crush-Cruise Giggle Parade slash East High Honk-fest, Ash would head up Emigration Canyon to 4-wheel it. Here's the thing about Ash: she's absolutely fearless. Whether it's cliff jumping in Powell, defense on the soccer field, or off-roading into the dark oblivion, there's no stopping her. The 4-wheeling would come unannounced. We'd be on the highway and...off we'd go. Like she'd lost it. (But, she hadn't). There was Ash, having a hay-day, as our heads knocked against each other and laughter bounced about the Bummer.

When I saw this house today, it brought back memories of a Bummer of a break down. (Remember, Girls?) One Saturday morning, right in front of this exact house, at precisely the moment the dweller wanted out, we happened to be Bummin' by. She kicked her Mercedes into reverse and...clank. Out went the Bummer. We'd boxed her in. We'd boxed her in good. Still cell-phone free in those days, the only way to reach Richard The Mechanic, was to use her land-line. I remember wanting to bustle right behind Bill (Elle) and Ash because I knew her house was bound to be spectacular inside. Elle didn't come back with details on the house, but she gushed about the size of this Mama's biceps. We didn't stop hearing about them the rest of the day. Elle was bent on benching just as much after she had had two little ones. Truthfully, we were all impressed.

I don't recall the exacts on how Richard rescued us, but he did. Today as I drove past this house, I laughed out loud when I thought of The Bummer Days, Ash the Fearless Pilot, and our 4-wheeling adventures. BBindaBUMMER!

4 comments:

E. said...

Oh, boy---just the title brought back memories, though not nearly as heart-warming as yours. If ever I were to erase a year . . .

ashly said...

Oh Marth:
Those were the days!! As soon as I saw the picture of the house and the title I knew I was going to laugh out loud word for word which is exactly what I did. What a morning that was as we drove home from picking up our Deana Carter tickets. I only wish I had the memory that you do with all the details. But maybe it's a good thing that I don't remember everything because there were plenty of times my dad came to the rescue rolling his eyes but couldn't hold back the smile at the same time. He was the one that gave me that beautiful machine anyway... and it served me/US well! I love you and thanks for the great laugh and memory xoxoxo

ashly said...

Oh Marth:
The second I saw this picture and the title I knew I would be laughing out loud and as I read the post that is exactly what I did! What a day that was as we drove home from getting the Deana Carter tickets and then running out of gas... Calling by dad as I did many times to come save us and as he rolled his eyes he couldn't help but smile and laugh at us just being girls. He's the one that gave me that beautiful machine anyway and how can I not help up driving and using it the way it wanted to be loved! Thanks for the laugh today I only wish I had the memory that you do thanks for capturing it the exact way that it happened. I had total forgot about Elle's fedish over the lady's arms. HA HA
LOVE YOU xoxoxo (days of the week girls forever)

ashly said...

Hey Marth: I just tried to post a comment because I JUST HAVE TO for this post and memory. Did it work? I think I might have done it twice???
xoxo ash